Saturday, June 11, 2016

1739? That's a long time ago!


For most of my life, I’ve been a little short on cousins, partly because we are so scattered. Maybe that’s why I love it so much when my grandkids, from four different families, have such a blast when they get together. They hang out on Facebook in between times, they talk about and make fun of each other.  They get it that they’re related and it makes for a happy bond.

That’s an experience I missed. A few years ago one of my cousins, the younger son of my Uncle Sam (Yep. I had a real Uncle Sam.) got in touch to explain that he was about to return “Fort Frey” to the Frey family by purchasing an old, old house in Palatine Bridge, New York. Built in 1739, it had housed members of the Frey family until 1950 when it was sold. Cousin Jon Frey and his wife, Gail, have renovated this wonderful place close to the banks of the Mohawk River and spend most of their weekends there.

It couldn’t be more historic. A roadside sign commemorates Major John Frey who fought in the Revolution. There’s a family cemetery up the hill where some of the gravestones are so old they are no longer legible. The ones that are indicate the remains of a series of John and Henry Freys. They believed in naming themselves after each other. As Jon and I approached the cemetery he said to me, “Can you believe it? We’re walking in the footsteps of our ancestors.” Not everyone gets to do that.

Jon Frey bought the place because he fell in love with it and because he saw it as a place that just might bring the scattered, errant Freys back “home” one day for a reunion. He even sent house keys to several of us, letting us know that we are always welcome there.

I’ve been lucky enough to visit several times and with each encounter with the place, it becomes more meaningful. This time Jon and I took an early morning walk on a misty, drizzly Sunday through the little burg of Palatine Bridge, into adjacent Canajoharie, across the river and up the hill on a street with lovely old homes.  Canajoharie, once the home of Beechnut foods, feels a bit abandoned. The huge factory now stands vacant. There are a few signs of life at the local café, and a couple of antique shops, but early on a Sunday morning, all was quiet and still.

Our walk gave Jon and I a chance to get to know each other better. We laughed when we realized that both of us are pretty good at getting lost—definitely a family trait. By the time we got back to the fort, I was sensing that cousin feeling that I notice when my grandkids get together and no matter how long it has been, they fall into their friendships. There’s something about knowing you are related that is hard to describe but nevertheless quite real.

Jon Frey is coming to Colorado in a couple of weeks and I’m rounding up as many relatives as I can to spend an evening with him. One of them is my brother, John Frey, the author of  Freys Along the Mohawk, The History of an American Pioneer Family in Palatine Bridge, New York, 1680 to 2014. Perhaps, if your name is John or Jon  and you are a Frey, you are doomed to a love of history and a passion for genealogy. I must say, the family tree would be much easier to follow if each of the members had a different first name. The difference of a middle initial just isn’t enough to keep them all straight.


I couldn’t be happier to know this cousin of mine. There are more of them lurking around and one of these days maybe they will have a chance to hike up to the cemetery and try to puzzle out just where they came from.

No comments: