Monday, January 25, 2016

Out with the old, in with the new




When I was six or seven, I reportedly said to my mom, “Nothing lasts. Not even people.” Hardly an astute insight, more like a sudden realization on the part of a small child. Last week I got a notice that our local newspaper will no longer be publish a column under the heading “The Running Life” that appeared in the Monday edition every week for several years. Four of us took turns contributing to it once a month. The paper is undergoing lots of changes and dumping their “Your Health” section is apparently one of them.

I had an angry moment because I love writing this column. I’ve been doing it for more than three years. None of us got paid, but in some ways, that did not matter. I think all of us liked the opportunity to share stories and information about our favorite sport and we got a kick out of the feedback we received from readers.

But then I realized that “nothing lasts, not even free-for-the-taking newspaper columns,” and that no-one would be keeping me from writing about running whatever and whenever I felt like it. Things like a blog and Facebook would allow me to share my thoughts and observations whenever I wanted to.

I didn’t run a step this weekend. After a long time away from the place, I was lucky enough to spend the weekend in Steamboat Springs where there are piles and piles of snow and lots of opportunities to be out and play in it from cross-country and downhill skiing to snowshoeing and hiking snow-packed paths. I did a little cross-country, a snowy hike and fell happily into an outdoor hot tub for a long, leisurely soak.  And all of it with good friends who shared their lodging, hospitality and good food.

I came home relaxed, invigorated and game to step out my door for a morning run where the piles of snow in Fort Collins are slimming down. Still I’m guessing it will be March before all the cold slippery stuff has disappeared. No matter, at least now it’s possible to picked your way around most of it.

The year is still very young. It’s going to be fun to find out what it will bring. What will end, and what will arise, shiny and new.




No comments: