Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Horsetooth Half Marathon-2015



Last Sunday morning I entered the Horsetooth Half Marathon, the most challenging race of that length in these parts, and the oldest too. It began in the early 70’s when the part of the course commonly referred to as Maniac Hill, was dirt. It’s paved now, and a little less steep, I think, but still steep enough, the second in a series of hills that are the trademark of this race. And instead of finishing at the Colorado State University football stadium as it did for many years, the course now snakes its way downtown on a bike path, ending up close to New Belgium Brewery, a race sponsor. The party that follows has been designated “best after race party” by Colorado Runner magazine.

The course is not certified because, according to race director Steve Cathcart, “no one ever sets a record on this course.” There was some prize money this year for the speediest ones; good enough, who needs certification? Wind was a factor this year but the sky was blue and there was no trace of the spitting snow-in-the-face that was a feature of the 2014 running. April is a tricky month to plan a race.

I don’t know how many times I’ve run the HTH, but lots. It’s a tradition now, even though it gets harder every time I do it. I wouldn’t miss it for the world. The views, of Horsetooth Reservoir and the foothills in the distance, this year barely touched by a sprinkling of white, cannot be beat. I even saw a couple of deer along the way.

The toughest hills come early in the race. By mile eight they’re mostly over but they’ve taken their toll on the body and another five miles, even though its mostly flat, becomes a plod.

Somewhere in the vicinity of mile 12, I took a tumble, landing hard, luckily in dirt rather than pavement. The fall drew blood only on a single finger and in less than 30 seconds, I was on my way again. I reached the finish line in one hour, 59 minutes and 33 seconds. The first, last and only woman in the 70-plus age group. I got a little plaque, a beer mug and a poster and I went home happy.

I don’t know what it is about this running thing that keeps me at it, but I feel so grateful that it is still part of my life.

No comments: